Thursday, May 5, 2011

More to my Conversion!

So, I know I am not keeping up as I said that I would, but I am doing a lot better than I would if I was hand writing this! Today has been interesting, I went and applied for a passport, the wonder of having a prompting from the Spirit to be ready with it for family history and whatever else may come! We shall see how long it takes me to use it for the first time! I am learning many things, like until I figure out what the Lord needs me to work on I am not going to get a job, although I did get an email of interest today! I will keep you informed what happens!
 Back to the conversion. So, last time was pretty heavy, but I needed to share just where I was coming from  so that there was more understanding as to where I was coming from! So, let's go to the night of the Baptism, I went to the Church a few hours before to talk with the sister missionaries and get a better understanding how the program was going to be carried out that evening. There is a lot of planning and care that goes into the great day and although I wanted to help they wouldn't let me! I didn't understand why until I was serving in Alabama, but it was so that I could take the time to realize that I was important! After about an hour I went back home and got ready by eating dinner and getting in my church clothes (a lavender dress) Maybe when I figure out how to post pics and what not I will post some from that amazing day!! I got to the church building early so that I could change into my white clothes (white symbolizes purity and since I was becoming pure that is the color that they baptize you in) and then proceeded to not be able to sit still for more than like 30 seconds, I just had a lot of energy and nerves and I was the center of attention and I am not used to that at all! The gentleman who I asked ot baptize me showed up and got changed and then the people started to flow in. I didn't think that that many people would show up, but there was over 40 there and it showed me that this was really important. The Bishop (kind of like the priest) conducted this meeting of sorts and there were so many people who helped out! The sisters picked all of the songs that were sung and they were amazing!! We sung "Child's Prayer" as the opening song and then a talk was given about Baptism and I entered the water. Man it was cold!! It was jumping into a freshly thawed river without the ice chunks!! They had no idea that it was cold and I found out later that the hot water lines out side the building had frozen as we were well below zero at that time! Needless to say it took my breath away and as I was baptized by submersion I came out of the water feeling amazing and freezing, so I shook myself as though I were an animal and managed to wet the front row pretty good (that got a chuckle out of the attendees) and then went and got changed. Did I tell you that the water was FREEZING!! It was so cold that by the time that I got out of it like five minutes later my hands had started turning purple!! I was just a wee bit chilled!! I didn't know this at the time, but as I was changing the sisters had asked all that attended to write a message to me about my baptism ( i didn't know until like 5 months later when I got the baptism book that they had made for me) and it touched me to read about how many thought that I was the great example and was full of faith. I don't see how this is even now, but I am seeking for an answer to this as I type. I guess being only 19 and not having any other family members joining with me stood out to people as something special, but I just thought of it as doing as the Lord told me to do. Doing something for myself for a change! I was and still sometimes am more concerned with other people than myself and put their wants and needs before my own, but this time I was like this is what I need to do for me and I did it. It was liberating to say the least. Not that there wasn't trials after, but I knew that I had made the right choice and for the rest of that night felt on top of the world! It was great!! I will never forget it!
 I feel as though this is enough for tonight! I will keep going with this story each night that I blog! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment